Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wreath Week {number three} Book Wreath

I absolutely adore book wreaths. They are so whimsical and have a story to tell, literally! So I had to make one. I have seen many tutorials but I decided that I wouldn't look at any in reference and figure it out on my own. Here is what I came up with.



Pretty cute I think. Here is how I did it.
What you need:
Wreath (I use the twig ones wrapped in plastic. Cheaper and easy. Don't remove the plastic!)
Hot glue gun
Old book from a thrift store
Brown acrylic paint 




Step 1-The Book
Put a dab of paint on a paper plate. Put a small amount of water on the plate and mix together with plate.
Paint the edges of the book.
I ripped the cover off the book then painted. The paint should dry fairly fast. 
Then rip pages individually from the book. See the pile underneath my back up book. This may take 10-15 min.

Step 2-Folding and Gluing 
Fold each piece of paper accordion style. Make sure you pinch the ripped side and leave the painted side free.


Next crinkle the paper while still holding on to it.


Then open it back up. You will have the accordion structure but a worn look.



Then draw a line of hot glue on the back of the wreath and attach the book page along that line.


This is what it looks like from the back.


Next adhere to the center. Getting the back and center done first will save a lot of time later.



The inside from the back.

Step 3-Finishing
Attach the rest of the pages in the same as the back and middle.
The less space you leave, the more puffy it will look. Three to four rows should be good between the back and front. You may have to fold once at the base of the paper to keep a consistent height.



Voila! Look what you have done. So beautiful. You could even spray paint the edges a little with brown or dark yellow to look more antiqued. White would look really shabby chic.


By the way, this one is for sale for $25. Any takers? It's probably 18-20"

Check out some other ways to fold the paper.
Bumble Brier Boutique - Rolled book paper
Summerstead - This has lots of folding and is shorter. I love all the different styles.




Photobucket

1 comment: