Sunday, November 13, 2011

I gave a talk in church today...

...On Charity. What a glorious learning experience for me. I thought I'd share some thoughts I have had for a while about charity and womanhood. We have such a responsibility as women to be charitable.
Charity is the pure love of Christ. So why is it so hard to have charity as a woman? I have no idea. I struggle with it every day. Sometimes I want to think about me. Me me me. There are times when I think about others, when I want to help others and I do. I am a much better person when I am helping people.

While for some women, charity comes naturally, why is it that women can be so vicious?
Women can be vicious.  Women can show a exquisite side and turn around to show a horrible creature with gnashing teeth (a bit dramatic?).
I hope I am never one of those women.
I have been the subject of great gossip, more than once. For whatever reason, I have been someone to talk about.

There was gossip when I moved to a small town when I was 15.
I was lost, didn’t want to move, and deeply depressed.
The people who accepted me were nice.
They weren’t people who you would want as friends, but they accepted me.
I was different. I had morals. I had never kissed a boy until the week before I moved, and I cried because I wasn’t 16 yet (I know traumatic!).
What these new friends did, I didn’t do. I left when they would do those things.
I went home, still depressed.
I had to make a decision. 
I decided that I would make people like me. The real me. 
Not what they had heard about me, maybe that's what the first friends thought I was like.
It was hard work. Even then, some people still didn’t like me.
I remained virtuous and moral.
I had an easy opportunity to not do so.
With those first friends, who graduated soon after I had moved.
I chose not to.
I waited for my true love, who came a swept me away.
He saved me from myself. He taught me that I am of worth.
I love
Him.

Now I am still me, with my family. I am a mother who sometimes doesn’t shower. Sometimes I let my kids watch TV all day. Sometimes I feel depressed and overwhelmed with the responsibilities of motherhood and being a wife.
We have so much expected of us.
Sometimes I clean my house from top to bottom.
Other times it’s a mess top to bottom.
Some days I can complete a whole list of things to do.
Other days, I can hardly complete one task.
I am the first to admit my mistakes, as I make so many of them.
I am grateful to those who remind me of them.

Today I wonder, 
What if all women were friends?
What if we only spoke kind words?
What if we helped each other out more?
What if instead of saying something mean about someone, we were able to hold that in and take that same person a plate of goodies?
How our hearts would grow. I think it would be easier to love each other and ourselves.

This week, let's try really hard to become better friends with someone we usually don't talk to. Just one person. Get to know them.

Good luck, you can do it!



post signature

3 comments:

  1. Jenny! Awesome blog. I totally agree with you about the charity thing for women. Sometimes it's really hard. :) I also just looked at the rest of the posts on this page and I loved the scarf clip. I don't have a single scarf, but I'm converted now and I'm ready to find some awesome ones to add to my not so awesome wardrobe. :) By the way, do you need some help at the bday party Wednesday or do you already have that covered? Let me know because I'd love to help! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right! Thanks for sharing. You're right, we would all do well to take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was beautiful jenny! i love you!

    ReplyDelete